Estella’s Interview with Shirin Roubeni :
POSTED Nov 18, 2009
Shirin Roubeni, the imaginative designer behind the whimsically edgy kids clothing line, ShirinKids, joins Estella for the launch of her new collection of girl’s limited edition Holiday Dresses with a trunk show at our West Village boutique. She joins us today for an exclusive interview about her line, what inspires her, tips for wearing her clothing and what’s to come for this talented designer.
Hello Shirin! It’s so wonderful to have you on our blog! We love your line of adorable dressed up “couture” tees at our store. Your career in design originally started with your womanswear line. What motivated you to expand into children’s clothing?
Thanks so much for including me in your blog!
A lot of my friends and customers have kids and they kept on telling me that some prints would have been perfect for their little ones. I love children, and it came very natural to me to design for them. I made a few pieces two years ago that were very well received, then I launched a full collection last spring. It makes me so proud to see them wearing my designs.
You are a fashion designer living in NYC – does street fashion influence your designs? What is a current trend for kids that you just can’t get enough of?
SHirin Kids is a contemporary streetswear line and living in New York keeps me in the loop of what is happening in terms of style. My main inspiration though is nature, so I try to incorporate the poetry of beautiful plants and animals into my urban designs.
The current trend I can’t get enough of are little dresses over leggings, for women and little girls.
Your new collection of limited edition holiday dresses for girls are simple, yet have a gorgeous twist with the beautiful silkscreened prints that adorn them. We especially love the cotton ball print dresses and baby tee that connect the fabric of the garment with its source. Is this done intentionally or purely for aesthetic purposes?
Cotton plants are my favorite, you can find then in vases in my apartment! So I would say it is purely aesthetic. The print I use for the cotton ball is called “puff”, which has a 3D effect, it is considered my signature print.
In addition to your regular line of girl’s and babies clothing, you recently launched a line of organic cotton clothing. Is all of your clothing manufactured and printed with an environmentally friendly approach?
Yes, all my collection is made with eco-friendly fabrics. Each piece is individually printed by hand with water-based inks, instead of the commonly used oil base plastisol, and finished with heat and pressure, instead of chemicals. Additionally, extra fabric pieces are constantly recycled and used as appliques on the shirts. Lastly, recycled packaging is used to ship the product.
We’ve read that you collect keepsakes from your travels and keep them in inspiration scrapbooks to reflect on during the design process. Where have you traveled to recently? Did this inspire the Fall-Winter “Wonderland” Collection?
I just loooove the mountains! I went skiing and hiking as much as possible the past year, in Vermont, Colorado and Utah…no wonder I called the collection “Wonderland”, it is inspired by my favorite season, winter. I just adore the snow.
Speaking of the “Wonderland” collection, we are loving the beautiful touches with luxurious fabrics like the Long Sleeve Girls Tee with Cashmere Shoulder Ruffles! With such detailed tops, what bottoms do you recommend to compliment them?
Can you recommend any products that would make your gorgeous tees and dresses more winter friendly?
Are you currently working on any new collections? What can we expect from you in the future?
My Spring Summer collection is coming out soon and it will also include dresses for girls. It is very bright, using a lot of whites and naturals. Some of the new items are diaper covers that match the babies tank tops… really sweet. Once again, my women collection matches the kids designs, a delightful perk for mother and child.
Thank you so much for
joining us, Shirin! We can’t wait to see what you have in store for us! See all
of the edgy and unique looks mentioned here from Shirin NYC at Estella-Nyc.com.
Knit With Love :
POSTED Nov 4, 2009
It’s the time of year for layering in cozy knits – Estella has the little ones in your life covered with our gorgeous collection of even-better-than-grandma’s knits. Unique accents like gold trimmed ruffles and little nubby pompoms make these pieces perfect for the Holidays (and the annual Christmas photo!) and are hand-knit with love and in fair-trade conditions in Nepal and Denmark.
Tags Baby Gifts, Designer Kids' Clothes, Holiday Clothing
- Girl’s Knit Flutter Sleeve Sweater – The ‘strong shoulder’ detailing is one of the hottest trends this season: this version, just for girls, exhibits the trend without going all Lady GaGa. Flirty, cute and feminine with a pompom tie. Hand-knit in Nepal by Estella.
- Girl’s PomPom Knit Sweater – Word can’t really describe the gorgeousness of this classic sweater, but I’ll try: rows of small pompoms are knit into this richly detailed sweater. The little buttons that adorn the shoulder make this sweater a classic. Hand-knit in Nepal by Estella.
- MorMor Hand-Knit Baby Bolero – Perfect casual bolero to throw over any Holiday ensemble. Hand-knit in Denmark by MorMor Nu. Also available in Kid size.
- MorMor Nu Ruffle Baby Pants – These adorable and unique ruffle bottoms are sure to put a smile on everyone’s face. Gold trim ruffles adorn these chic and comfy knit bottoms. Hand-knit in Denmark by MorMor Nu.
Category Baby Gifts, Designer Kids' Clothes, Holiday Clothing
Estella Online :
Have you stopped by Estella-Nyc.com lately? If so, you’ve probably seen our fabulous re-design with the new clean layout for simple navigation plus convenient features such as sorting by price (this makes gift giving for baby showers and birthdays on a budget a cinch!) So whether you’re trying to find the hottest new Joe’s Jeans for your kids or an amazing baby shower gift that is sure to be a hit, Estella is your go-to source for the best in Designer Baby Clothing, Baby Gear and Kid’s clothing.
Tags Baby Gifts, Designer Baby Clothes, Designer Kids' Clothes
Category Baby Gifts, Designer Baby Clothes, Designer Kids' Clothes
POSTED Oct 16, 2009
If you’re in the tri-state area, you’re probably feeling the way I do about the dreary, wet, miserable weather we’re experiencing right now (not to mention the messy weekend!). My favorite remedy for days like this is wearing bright splashes of color to contrast the grey- it’s always refreshing to see someone in a bold color walking down the street amongst a sea of grey and black. Perhaps that’s why I find the Kit + Lili Lila Flamingo Polka Dot Baby Girl Dress so appealing.
Fire engine red with polka dots speckled all over and tiers of bubble hemmed fabulousness, this dress will make your little girl the center of attention and the life of the party! Paired with LeBig Polka Dot tights, this ensemble reminds me of a Lichtenstein painting, unabashedly loud but beautiful at the same time. Perfect for the little girl on the go!
Tags Designer Baby Clothes, Urban Baby Clothes
- Kit + Lili Lila Flamingo Polka Dot Baby Girl Dress – She’s never the one to shy away from attention, so why not dress to match her colorful personality? Tiers and Polka dots… what more could you ask for?
- Estella NYC Metrocard Baby Rattle – Babies and parents all over the city are loving this Metrocard rattle. Perfect for keeping baby busy while en route.
- jess brown Wovenplay Butterfly Doll – For the Anti-Barbie, non-cookie cutter renegade, there’s Jess Brown’s line of incredibly adorable and delicate dolls that are so beautiful, you’ll forget that Bratz dolls ever existed.
- Le Big Polka Dots Tights for Babies – Le BIG has mastered comfort, beauty, and utility in these fun patterned tights. Durable and warm enough for all cold season outfits.
Category Designer Baby Clothes, Urban Baby Clothes
POSTED Oct 7, 2009
As the weather gets cooler, Estella begins to bundle up in great layered, multi-functional pieces. This particular outfit is built around Estella’s Contemporary Pinstripe Overalls. This isn’t your everyday Osh B’Gosh overalls: Modern, no-fuss, clean lines, durable cotton denim, and an exposed zipper make this baby jumper an “it” item for fall for your fashion forward baby girl or boy. Just switch up tees, add hats, peek-a-boo patterned socks, maybe even a pocket square (for the little sophisticate), and you’ve got great fall style down pat.
Tags Baby Gifts, Baby Outfits, Designer Baby Clothes
- Pencil Stripe Baby Crew by Okkies – This classic baby crew tee is a great base for layering. Comfy, machine-washable cotton and the quality you expect from Okkies.
- Cuffietta Green Baby Round Tie Soft Hat by Album di Famiglia – This lusciously soft fleece-cotton hat covers the ears, is snuggly warm, comes in great neutral colors, and best of all – it’s on sale! Check out more here.
- Cotton Denim Baby Jumper - I can’t rave enough about this stylish one-piece. A solid, stylish, Machine-washable pair of overalls that makes a great base to any cold weather outfit. Made in the US and available in 2 dashing denims.
- Vilac Baby Gaston the Lion Pull Toy-Your little guy or gal will want tp take Gaston along everywhere they go, literally.
Category Baby Gifts, Baby Outfits, Designer Baby Clothes