We recently got the chance to chat with Melissa of WINTER*DAISY, an interiors studio that creates dreamy and modern baby nurseries and spaces for children. Melissa’s aesthetic is soft and calm with unique details and whimsical touches that result rooms for little ones to explore, play, and grow. Plus, as a proud mama of 3 little ones, many of Melissa’s recommendations come tried and tested. Read on for more nursery decor tips and ideas…
1. What’s the best way to go about decorating a nursery if you are keeping the sex of your baby a surprise, or just want to avoid the stereotypical girl and boy colors?
A neutral palette is timeless and so easy to add to once the little one arrives.
2. Are there any nursery items worth the splurge (or, are overrated and not worth purchasing at all)?
The item I most often recommend splurging on is a chair. Try it out. Sit in it. Feel the fabric. Make sure it’s easy to clean. With the vast array of options for nursery chairs, there really is something for everyone in every budget. This is the place you will spend hours feeding, holding, reading and generally loving your baby right from the beginning and for many years to come!
3. Ideally a nursery will be functional and practical yet still beautiful and inviting. Any tips on how to achieve this balance?
Of course it is so much fun to have a beautiful space but without a doubt, functionality is key with children. Having three children myself, I can often point out the items that just might not work so well. Before we came on board, my last client had already purchased a change table that sat over the crib. I let her know that this might cause minor disasters in the months to come. Needless to say, after 3 days of her newborn peeing into his crib, she decided it was time to move it. There are so many amazing products to choose from, recommending ones that work well is built in as part of our service.
4. What are your top nursery must-haves for new moms?
For new moms? Somewhere to sit, somewhere to put your feet up and someone to bring you food! We also LOVE blankets. Cotton, cashmere, bamboo…soft and cozy and useful for everything from keeping baby cozy to keeping Mom’s (and Dad’s!) toes warm. The blankets we had for our girls when they were born are now used in imaginative play as capes, dresses and for building forts. You can never have too many.
5. Do you have any go-to brands for nursery décor, furniture, and newborn essentials?
There are two many incredible brands to list, but I do aim to use as many local to you stores as possible.
6. Outside of the decor, what essentials do you recommend new moms should have on hand in the nursery?
Water and cloths! We put so much effort into ensuring our babes are fed and happy, that Mom gets neglected far too often. It is essential to make sure Mom stays hydrated too. Cloths can be used for everything from wiping spit up to runny noses. Can I also recommend a personal masseuse? That sounds like it an incredible essential to me! Ha. Wishful thinking.
Thanks, Melissa! For more, check out Melissa’s Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter for more inspiration, too.
(Images via WINTER*DAISY)