Just In for Summer :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Jun 23, 2015
Happy summer! We’re celebrating the start of the season with our new organic baby toys – the Beach Bum collection! Featuring starfish, octopus, seahorse, and mermaid rattles (there’s also a mermaid doll for older siblings), these toys are the perfect companions for summer newborns or water-loving babies. Hand-knit in Peru by local artisans, they’re all GOTS-certified organic and made from 100% soft Peruvian cotton. The bold colors, unique shapes, and charming sounds will engage babies’ senses and keep them happily entertained. And for those looking, these summer toys make easy yet unique baby shower or newborn gifts, especially when paired with the Electrik Kidz baby gown or one of our organic baby blankets. View the whole collection here!
Tags Baby Rattles, Estella Collections, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Soft Baby Toys
Category Baby Rattles, Estella Collections, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Soft Baby Toys
A Conversation with :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Jun 17, 2015
We are excited to be interviewing Penelope Stipanovich, the owner of one of our long-time retailers, Smoochie Baby in Williamsburg, Brooklyn! After originally opening the baby clothing boutique while living in Toronto, Penelope and her family moved back to NYC where she re-opened the store in her new Brooklyn neighborhood. Full of “big style for little smoochers,” Smoochie Baby’s a must for checking out what’s fresh in children’s fashion, picking up unique baby gifts, or discovering the latest new brands. We we’re lucky enough to ask Penelope a few questions about running her own business, can’t miss spots in Williamsburg, and favorite parts of motherhood…
1. Smoochie Baby is full of stylish duds for urban kids. Where do you discover these brands, & are there any new ones you’ve discovered recently that should be on our radar? I am always on the lookout for cool new brands. I visit trade shows, go to showrooms, and get daily submissions in my inbox. I also find new and noteworthy lines through blogs, Pinterest and Instagram. I’m a little obsessed. Always looking… Our newest lines are MimPi from Sweden, Billy Blush from the UK, Little Eleven Paris, and Miki Miette from L.A.
2. Best and worst parts of being your own boss? The best part is I have no one to answer to. The worst part is I have no one to answer to. In other words, I make all of my own decisions about the store but if I make a wrong decision (and I do all the time) I have no one else to blame.
3. When customers stop in looking for a special newborn or baby gift, what do you recommend? Our “go to” recommendation is our Smoochie Baby Brooklyn onesie, an Estella Metrocard rattle, Brooklyn 123 board book & a pair of baby sunglasses. Very Brooklyn!
4. Favorite Estella toy? The MetroCard rattle (naturally!)
5. When you were a new mom, were there any must-haves (for you & baby!) that you always hand on hand? My organic sling from Dr. Sears. I was back at work right after having my son so I carried him in a sling everywhere. I wore him around the house and all through the city, talking or singing to him the entire time. I also loved the Boppy Pillow and an organic sleep sack. I used it from the time we were done swaddling and he would associate being zipped up in it with sleep time, and go right to sleep. At the time, sleep sacks were not popular in the U.S. (he is 10 years old now) but they were everywhere in Europe. I like to think I played a part in bringing them here.
5. You’re store in located right in Williamsburg, Brooklyn – any favorite neighborhood spots (stores, restaurants, parks, etc.) that we should check out if we’re in the area? Not just because it is my husband’s but my hands down favorite restaurant is The Heyward on Wythe Avenue. They serve delicious “new southern” cuisine and the most incredible cocktails. I also love Mogador & Cafe Colette. The East River State Park (with the Manhattan skyline as its backdrop) is always fun for a stroll but especially so on Saturdays when Smorgasborg is going on. You can sample yummy food form a myriad of Brooklyn purveyors. My favorite stores in the neighborhood include Pearl, Shoe Market, A & G Merch and CatBird. I always love to stop in to Mast Brothers for a bar of their divine chocolate and for kids clothing Smoochie Baby of course!
6. What about NYC in general – any can’t-miss, baby & kid-friendly places or activities (especially now with the warmer weather!)? Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park has the best playground in New York City. Don’t just take my word for it, Time Out Kids said so as well for the last 2 years in a row. If you’re coming from Manhattan, ride the East River Ferry to get there and be sure to stop at Pier 1 on the way for a ride on the gorgeously restored Jane’s Carousel. In Manhattan I love the splash pad in Madison Square Park. We used to go there all the time when Max was little. For an old fashioned soda fountain experience head to Farmacy in Cobble Hill and sit at the counter. It’s awesome!
7. Finally, what’s one thing nobody told you about parenthood? That you will not sleep in again until your child is 16. But it’s okay because being a parent is the single most rewarding experience of your life!
Thanks, Penelope! Check out Smoochie Baby’s online store here.
Tags Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Designer Baby Clothes, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Interviews, Urban Baby Clothes
Category Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Designer Baby Clothes, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Interviews, Urban Baby Clothes
Just in for Spring 2015 :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Apr 7, 2015
Our new organic baby toys and bamboo baby clothes have arrived for spring 2015! Here are a few images of our new products, shot by NYC-based newborn and baby photographer Karilyn Sanders…
Old bamboo favorites are back, including our long sleeve romper and mittens, as well as new styles and details, like the stitched moon on our footie romper or star on the baby hat. Our entire bamboo baby collection is available in six elegant colors and features a hint of spandex, so the garments will stretch as baby grows. (For more reasons why we love bamboo for baby clothes, check out this post.)
We have also added new characters to our collection of baby rattles. In addition to the endangered animals pictured here, there are also new seaside creatures (like the starfish, mermaid, or octopus), classic rattles that are perfect for expecting parents (a rubber ducky or pacifier, for example), and Brooklyn-themed rattles for little hipsters. These infant toys are all hand-knit in Peru by local artisans using soft cotton, and because they are now GOTS-certified organic, they’re also safe and responsible choice. Plus, their bold colors, soft feel, and friendly faces will engage and delight baby, making them wonderful baby gifts - on their own or as a gift set!
(Images via Karilyn Sanders)
Tags Baby Rattles, Bamboo Baby Clothes, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Soft Baby Toys
Category Baby Rattles, Bamboo Baby Clothes, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Soft Baby Toys
Estella Baby Rattles :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Jan 14, 2015
Estella is excited to announce that our baby rattles are now GOTS-certified organic! These organic baby toys are available in the same exact styles and continue to be hand-stitched by local artisans (and members of the World Fair Trade Organization), but are now sustainable and environmentally friendly. If there’s a chance baby might put it in his or her mouth, we want it to be organic.
With such a soft feel and eye-catching designs, these toys make wonderful and unique baby gifts. The smooth cotton, bright colors, and charming sound will captivate and engage baby’s senses while new parents will appreciate the witty designs and fact that their child’s favorite toy is safe and all natural.
The baseball and football rattles are perfect for future athletes while the race-car, airplane, ambulance, and school bus feature bold hues and encourage imaginative play. The taxi, Metrocard, train, and salted pretzel pay homage to the city we love, and the bunnies and milk bottles are classic options geared towards those who appreciate an understated elegance. Pair any of these unique baby toys with a piece from our knit collection for a luxury gift set or an organic bamboo baby romper for something that’s classic yet still personality-packed.
Fun, whimsical, and full of character, these baby rattles are wonderful alternative to the mass-produced plastic or hard-edged toys and gifts on the market. View the entire collection of organic baby toys at Estella, with new styles coming soon!
Tags Baby Rattles, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Soft Baby Toys
Category Baby Rattles, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Soft Baby Toys
Guest Post :
By Melissa Willets - POSTED Dec 4, 2014
She has the baby swing. She’s stocked with newborn basics like onesies and hats. Maybe she’s about to become a second, or third time mom. Or perhaps she’s a new soon-to-be mom with really generous friends and family! No matter the reason, a Boppy won’t do for a baby gift for this super-prepared mama.
Sigh. What can you possibly get for the mom-to-be who has everything? You don’t want to phone it in with another hooded ducky towel. No, you need a unique present, something that prompts her to demand, “Where did you find this?”
Don’t worry. It’s not an impossible mission. We got you covered with these awesomely adorable gift ideas for the mom-to-be who has it all, except…
Hand Knit Baby Rattles. Impress the mom who already has every baby toy on Earth on standby with these cute Estella cotton baby toys. We dare any pregnant mama not to chuckle with surprise and glee when she unwraps a salted pretzel, a purse with a sweet little bow, or a mustache rattle. Don’t forget to check out the coordinating nursery pillows!
The Best Swaddles. Your mom friend owns a stack of receiving blankets, but breathable muslin swaddles by Aden and Anais are where it’s at! The size and weight of the fabric makes wrapping a wee one worry-free and easy. Um, plus they’re cute. Yup, she’ll love cradling her cutie in these soft styles. You’re a whiz at this finding the perfect gift thing!
Handprint Canvas Set. Give the gift of a memory with a create-a-keepsake canvas kit from Red Envelope. Upon baby’s arrival, the new family can capture the moment by stamping their hand or foot prints on a piece of wall art, which can be customized by color, design, and the option to add text.
Superhero Knit Dolls. Your mommy friend may have a nursery full of stuffed animals and dolls, but she hasn’t seen Estella’s superhero inspired knit dolls! Kat is sporty yet sweet, Trixie has confidence and style to spare, and Red is one capable cookie. Dolls who offer life lessons to little ones? Can you say gift giving genius?
Giant Personalized Tote. An over-sized Lands End tote bag makes the perfect hospital bag, weekend getaway bag, and bedding, clothing, and toy storage bag. It’s a gift that keeps on giving long after baby is born; from the first sleepover, to sleep-away camp, to college! How many other gifts can boast of being useful for life?
Told you we could help!
Tags Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Eco-Friendly Gifts, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Kids' Accessories & Toys, Mom Gifts, Pregnancy, Soft Baby Toys
Category Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Eco-Friendly Gifts, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Kids' Accessories & Toys, Mom Gifts, Pregnancy, Soft Baby Toys