Posts tagged "Baby Gifts"
A Conversation with :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Jun 30, 2015
Next up in our series of interviews with Estella retailers: Jennifer Cattaui of Babesta! Jennifer opened the NYC baby boutique’s first location in Tribeca when she was a new mom and totally unsatisfied with what was already out there for babies and kids. Replacing pastel colors, overly-sweet patterns,and ruffles & lace with bold designs, humorous graphics, and urban-inspired styles, Jennifer made it her goal to track down must-have, hard-to-find, rock-star-baby-approved duds that are still comfortable, practical, and machine-washable. As Jennifer writes of Babesta’s website: “Don’t be afraid to give your little one some personality. Some pizzazz. Poke fun at your own youth with your youth.”
Since then Babesta has expanded its locations, including the newly opened store in Manhattan’s Brookfield Place. We had the opportunity to ask Jennifer a few questions on everything from foolproof baby gifts to the best parts of NYC in the summer and her funniest parenting stories…
1. Babesta is full of stylish items for urban, trendsetting tots. Where do you discover these brands, and are there any new ones you’ve discovered recently that should be on our radar?
We discover them literally everywhere – some designers directly reach out to us and introduce themselves via email, some we spot at trade shows like Playtime NYC, some we find by word of mouth by our customers and still others we stumble upon on Instagram! Our buyer, Chandra, just had an incredibly adorable little boy, so she’s even more on the pulse of everything!! All of us keep our eyes open all the time for things that can inspire us and would be a great fit for the shop!
2. Best and worst parts of being your own boss?
I love being my own boss because when I’ve got ideas, I have no red tape or convincing to do: I can just go for it! It’s a total family affair, which makes it fun, as we are building this all together—me, my husband Aslan and two girls Amina and Camille. The worst part is the fact that it’s 24/7 and the job is literally never done. It’s hard to turn off!
3. In addition to your Tribeca location, you just opened another store in Battery Park City’s Brookfield Place. Are there any go-to spots (stores, restaurants, parks, etc.) we should check out if we’re in the ‘hood?
Yes! Let’s start with restaurants, YUM! We are mad about Hudson Eats! It’s a great spot to go with your family, as there is something to suit every palette – grilled cheese from Little Munster, sushi from Blue Ribbon, salads from Chopt and cupcakes from Sprinkles – just to name a few! And then there is Le District, the French food market, restaurant and more – delicious! And we cannot wait for our new neighbor, L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon. Really, eating, you can’t go wrong! And now shopping! Lululemon, Theory, Posman’s books, Cos Bar, Satya Jewelry we’re loving! And coming soon, Dry Bar next door (awesome!) and Scoop downstairs! There is tons to check out! The area around Brookfield is spectacular – right on the water, with the marina filled with beautiful boats, it’s great to just walk up the pathway that takes you all along the west side, or jog (solo with your iPod or with toddler in the new Bugaboo Runner!). The parks and large grassy stretches in the area are perfect picnic spots – bring your badminton, soccer ball or whatever outdoor fun you want. There are lots of parks – Teardrop Park and Pier 25 are two of my faves – great water features to cool things down. Favorite after park spot, Grand Banks along Pier 25 – it’s a boat that docks there for the summer and is perfect for a relaxing drink & nibble. Another great R&R spot if you need some quiet, grab a chaise lounge at the end of Pier 25 (after the mini golf, beach volley ball & soccer field) and chill while looking over the water! Late afternoon/early evening, it’s true magic!
4. When customers come in looking for a special newborn or baby gift, what do you recommend?
We try to figure out what sort of gift they’re thinking of giving: a cool new ensemble, a toy, some books or music, some stroller accessories or nursery art. But one thing’s for sure, we always suggest an Estella MetroCard Rattle! That’s an all-time fave! These days, the Lexi Pexi Birkin Bag teether, ODB onesie, colorful bandana bibs, cool shades, BabyLit board books (Pride & Prejudice, The Jungle Book, Moby Dick) and our Onesie of the Month Club (a new cool onesie which arrives in the mail, available in 3 month, 6 month or 12 month subscriptions) are some fun must-haves! We’ve got some more exclusive products coming soon so stay tuned!
5. Mother/child matching – into it or no?
I like mother-child “sense of style” matching. Not so much into the multi-generational twinsy thing. But if mom has a cool sense of style and rocks a concert tee, jeans and lace up boots, no reason why baby can’t sport the same cool style!!
6. Favorite NYC summer activities to do with the kids?
We just did a staycation in the city and it was so fun! We stayed at the Gansevoort Hotel in the Meatpacking District for the weekend, as we needed to stay close to the new store since its so new but wanted to feel like we were getting away! Their rooftop pool and giant swan pool toy were a total hit and even though we had to run down to the shop once or twice it was like a real getaway! While there, we hit the Chelsea galleries and walked the High Line. Throughout the summer, I love finding out what’s new going on (generally on blogs and through social media) and making a plan to have a new adventure each weekend!
7. What’s your funniest parenting memory/story?
We were cooking at my parents’ house for Thanksgiving. Cooking is not so much my thing, so my dad, husband and brother usually take over the duty (they are really good!). Well midway through, they discovered that the garlic was dried out and no good. Word traveled as we were trying to figure out who could quickly run to the store before it closed. My youngest (8) hopped up from the sofa and said “don’t worry, I brought garlic!” and sure enough she ran up to the bedroom, brought down her overnight bag and in it, to all of our surprise, was a new head of garlic she had brought “just in case” from our home! We could not believe it!
Thanks, Jennifer! Check out Babesta’s website here and don’t miss the Babesta Beat.
Images 1, 2, 3, 4
Tags baby clothes, Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Designer Baby Clothes, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Interviews, Soft Baby Toys, Urban Baby Clothes
Category baby clothes, Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Designer Baby Clothes, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Interviews, Soft Baby Toys, Urban Baby Clothes
A Conversation with :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Jun 17, 2015
We are excited to be interviewing Penelope Stipanovich, the owner of one of our long-time retailers, Smoochie Baby in Williamsburg, Brooklyn! After originally opening the baby clothing boutique while living in Toronto, Penelope and her family moved back to NYC where she re-opened the store in her new Brooklyn neighborhood. Full of “big style for little smoochers,” Smoochie Baby’s a must for checking out what’s fresh in children’s fashion, picking up unique baby gifts, or discovering the latest new brands. We we’re lucky enough to ask Penelope a few questions about running her own business, can’t miss spots in Williamsburg, and favorite parts of motherhood…
1. Smoochie Baby is full of stylish duds for urban kids. Where do you discover these brands, & are there any new ones you’ve discovered recently that should be on our radar? I am always on the lookout for cool new brands. I visit trade shows, go to showrooms, and get daily submissions in my inbox. I also find new and noteworthy lines through blogs, Pinterest and Instagram. I’m a little obsessed. Always looking… Our newest lines are MimPi from Sweden, Billy Blush from the UK, Little Eleven Paris, and Miki Miette from L.A.
2. Best and worst parts of being your own boss? The best part is I have no one to answer to. The worst part is I have no one to answer to. In other words, I make all of my own decisions about the store but if I make a wrong decision (and I do all the time) I have no one else to blame.
3. When customers stop in looking for a special newborn or baby gift, what do you recommend? Our “go to” recommendation is our Smoochie Baby Brooklyn onesie, an Estella Metrocard rattle, Brooklyn 123 board book & a pair of baby sunglasses. Very Brooklyn!
4. Favorite Estella toy? The MetroCard rattle (naturally!)
5. When you were a new mom, were there any must-haves (for you & baby!) that you always hand on hand? My organic sling from Dr. Sears. I was back at work right after having my son so I carried him in a sling everywhere. I wore him around the house and all through the city, talking or singing to him the entire time. I also loved the Boppy Pillow and an organic sleep sack. I used it from the time we were done swaddling and he would associate being zipped up in it with sleep time, and go right to sleep. At the time, sleep sacks were not popular in the U.S. (he is 10 years old now) but they were everywhere in Europe. I like to think I played a part in bringing them here.
5. You’re store in located right in Williamsburg, Brooklyn – any favorite neighborhood spots (stores, restaurants, parks, etc.) that we should check out if we’re in the area? Not just because it is my husband’s but my hands down favorite restaurant is The Heyward on Wythe Avenue. They serve delicious “new southern” cuisine and the most incredible cocktails. I also love Mogador & Cafe Colette. The East River State Park (with the Manhattan skyline as its backdrop) is always fun for a stroll but especially so on Saturdays when Smorgasborg is going on. You can sample yummy food form a myriad of Brooklyn purveyors. My favorite stores in the neighborhood include Pearl, Shoe Market, A & G Merch and CatBird. I always love to stop in to Mast Brothers for a bar of their divine chocolate and for kids clothing Smoochie Baby of course!
6. What about NYC in general – any can’t-miss, baby & kid-friendly places or activities (especially now with the warmer weather!)? Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park has the best playground in New York City. Don’t just take my word for it, Time Out Kids said so as well for the last 2 years in a row. If you’re coming from Manhattan, ride the East River Ferry to get there and be sure to stop at Pier 1 on the way for a ride on the gorgeously restored Jane’s Carousel. In Manhattan I love the splash pad in Madison Square Park. We used to go there all the time when Max was little. For an old fashioned soda fountain experience head to Farmacy in Cobble Hill and sit at the counter. It’s awesome!
7. Finally, what’s one thing nobody told you about parenthood? That you will not sleep in again until your child is 16. But it’s okay because being a parent is the single most rewarding experience of your life!
Thanks, Penelope! Check out Smoochie Baby’s online store here.
Tags Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Designer Baby Clothes, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Interviews, Urban Baby Clothes
Category Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Designer Baby Clothes, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Interviews, Urban Baby Clothes
Estella Gift Guide :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Dec 16, 2014
Christmas is just over a week away and tonight is the first night of Hanukkah! Here are a few last-minute ideas for holiday gifts for babies and toddlers…
1. Jellycat Stuffed Animals - These cuddly toys have become increasingly popular with babies and for good reason – ultra plush and durable, they make wonderful companions that babies will reach for now, nighttime, and years to come.
2. Stella Industries Sparkle Dress - For girls who love to sparkle and twirl – this dress is a foul-proof gift. The all-over sparkles, tiered tulle skirt, and ruffled bodice will delight any young girl while her parents will appreciate its durability and ease – it can be thrown in the washing machine and worn over and over again.
3. Baby Blankets – A lovely keepsake or snuggly companion that babies will love now and into adulthood.
4. Aden and Anais - These baby blankets, swaddles, and accessories are versatile and practical but don’t skip out on style or design – making them ideal baby gifts for new parents. The brand creates all of its products with a muslin fabric that is not only super soft and machine washable, but also helps naturally regulate baby’s body temperature to prevent overheating. Versatile, modern and all-natural, these swaddles are the perfect multi-taskers.
5. Batman Hat – A must-have for little superheros, this hand-knit hat is made from a soft wool – great for the cold weather, Halloween, and beyond!
6. Boramiri - Based in Paris, the boutique brand combines the designer’s South Korean heritage with the aesthetic of her current home in France, resulting in dolls, nursery decor, and accessories that make lovely companions and keepsakes.
7. Hand-Knit Dolls or Baby Rattles - Soft, bold, and totally unique, our dolls and baby toys come in fun styles and clever shapes that will appeal to babies, toddlers, and parents alike.
P.S. When you’re all out of other ideas, gift cards always work!
Tags Baby Gifts, Boys' Gifts, Eco-Friendly Gifts, Girls' Gifts, Holiday Gifts
Category Baby Gifts, Boys' Gifts, Eco-Friendly Gifts, Girls' Gifts, Holiday Gifts
Estella Gift Guide :
By Estella Editor - POSTED Dec 11, 2014
A few stocking stuffer gift ideas for babies and toddler boys & girls…
1. Wooden Toys - French toymaker Vilac‘s well-made wooden toys grab and keep kids’ attention. The race cars and robot puzzle provide toddlers with hours of fun and entertainment; bold yet sophisticated colors and vintage designs encourage imaginative play while also teaching kids the mechanics of motion and momentum. Plus, the smooth lacquered surface is painted using a non-toxic paint, so you can feel good about giving this learning toy as well. Include some road tape to complete the gift!
2. Hand-Knit Backpack Charms – We took our most popular soft baby rattles and created backpack charms out of them. Unique, clever, and playful, these accessories are a fun addition to your little one’s collection and especially cute when matched with one of baby’s toys. Speaking of which…
3. Baby Rattles – Estella’s collection of hand-made, 100% cotton baby rattles are full of personality. Featuring unique styles, eye-catching colors, and a charming jingle, these baby toys engage all the senses, feel wonderful in little hands, and are safer than the wooden, plastic, or hard-edged alternatives. Plus, parents will appreciate the beautiful styles and clever designs.
4. Girls’ Dress Up Accessories - Blinged-out wands, headbands, and tiaras from Atsuyo et Akiko, Wovenplay, & Siaomimi Play are perfect for everyday flair or ordinary afternoons spent playing dress up. For more girly accessories, check out Bari Lynn.
5. Sam en Haas - This Dutch brand makes the most beautiful jewelry for children. Not only does each item capture the spirit of being a kid through its imaginative and unique designs, but the entire collection is also made from ethically sourced silver and gold. The charms are often as interactive as they are beautiful and make wonderful gifts that children will treasure for years to come.
6. Hand-Knit Heart Pin – Cute, simple, and chic, this is a fun accessory to jazz up any simple top.
Tags Baby Gifts, Boys' Gifts, Girls' Gifts, Holiday Gifts
Category Baby Gifts, Boys' Gifts, Girls' Gifts, Holiday Gifts
Guest Post :
By Melissa Willets - POSTED Dec 4, 2014
She has the baby swing. She’s stocked with newborn basics like onesies and hats. Maybe she’s about to become a second, or third time mom. Or perhaps she’s a new soon-to-be mom with really generous friends and family! No matter the reason, a Boppy won’t do for a baby gift for this super-prepared mama.
Sigh. What can you possibly get for the mom-to-be who has everything? You don’t want to phone it in with another hooded ducky towel. No, you need a unique present, something that prompts her to demand, “Where did you find this?”
Don’t worry. It’s not an impossible mission. We got you covered with these awesomely adorable gift ideas for the mom-to-be who has it all, except…
Hand Knit Baby Rattles. Impress the mom who already has every baby toy on Earth on standby with these cute Estella cotton baby toys. We dare any pregnant mama not to chuckle with surprise and glee when she unwraps a salted pretzel, a purse with a sweet little bow, or a mustache rattle. Don’t forget to check out the coordinating nursery pillows!
The Best Swaddles. Your mom friend owns a stack of receiving blankets, but breathable muslin swaddles by Aden and Anais are where it’s at! The size and weight of the fabric makes wrapping a wee one worry-free and easy. Um, plus they’re cute. Yup, she’ll love cradling her cutie in these soft styles. You’re a whiz at this finding the perfect gift thing!
Handprint Canvas Set. Give the gift of a memory with a create-a-keepsake canvas kit from Red Envelope. Upon baby’s arrival, the new family can capture the moment by stamping their hand or foot prints on a piece of wall art, which can be customized by color, design, and the option to add text.
Superhero Knit Dolls. Your mommy friend may have a nursery full of stuffed animals and dolls, but she hasn’t seen Estella’s superhero inspired knit dolls! Kat is sporty yet sweet, Trixie has confidence and style to spare, and Red is one capable cookie. Dolls who offer life lessons to little ones? Can you say gift giving genius?
Giant Personalized Tote. An over-sized Lands End tote bag makes the perfect hospital bag, weekend getaway bag, and bedding, clothing, and toy storage bag. It’s a gift that keeps on giving long after baby is born; from the first sleepover, to sleep-away camp, to college! How many other gifts can boast of being useful for life?
Told you we could help!
Tags Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Eco-Friendly Gifts, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Kids' Accessories & Toys, Mom Gifts, Pregnancy, Soft Baby Toys
Category Baby Gifts, Baby Rattles, Eco-Friendly Gifts, Eco-Friendly Toys, Estella Hand-Knit Rattles & Toys, Hand-Knit Toys, Kids' Accessories & Toys, Mom Gifts, Pregnancy, Soft Baby Toys